We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to all of the schools who attended Los Angeles County Outdoor Science School in 2017-2018! We know you worked very hard to prepare your students, parents, and cabin leaders for a life-changing week full of NGSS-aligned scientific inquiry, nature exploration, and community building. We hope your week at Outdoor Science School was a highlight of your school year. It was a pleasure to work with you to provide this amazing opportunity for your students.
This has been another great year for the Outdoor Science School. We were able to welcome and support a number of new schools from several new districts. New schools are a great addition and currently participating schools are our best ambassadors. The website continues to improve. The Instagram account is a great way to keep in touch, and other social media will be improved over the summer.
Excellent Outdoor Science Field Study
Looking back at the year, and back at almost 60 years of service, we are excited about the quality of our educational program. We were very pleased to receive these comments from a participating teacher.
"After looking into various [outdoor science school] programs, we knew that LACOSS was the perfect place for our students to have an immersive experience in science education. Because it is a program affiliated with Los Angeles County Office of Education, we were confident that the curriculum would be aligned with NGSS, and that the experience would build upon the collaboration and inquiry-based learning that takes place in the classroom. P.S. It was an experience that we all can't stop sharing about!!" --Michelle Kibic, 5th grade teacher, Sanchez Elem., Norwalk/ La Mirada Unified School District, 1st year participating teacher.
Support for Next Year
At the Outdoor Science School, as in your classrooms, we are already busy planning for your next visit to OSS. We know that parents, teachers, and administrators want to know as much as they can about Outdoor Science School before they agree to send their students to an overnight program. LACOSS is here to support you to recruit cabin leaders and to address parent concerns so as many of your students as possible can experience Outdoor Science School! Here are some resources to help you.
- Explore resources on our website! Be sure to check the Teacher Resources section of the website. These resources include PowerPoint presentations for your parent meetings, lists, planning tools, and a variety of recommendations.
- Sign up for a 4th grade 1 or 2 day program! Our new 4th grade program focuses on Native Californians and their use of plant resources. This is a great introduction to Outdoor Science School and will prepare your students and parents for the 5-day program in 5th or 6th grade.
- Book a School Visit for Fall 2018! We are often able to send staff to visit your school and to support your preparations. Experienced LACOSS Naturalists come to your school for an information session. Sample lessons, PowerPoint presentations, and a Q&A session help students, parents, and school administrators understand what to expect from their week at Outdoor Science School. These visits are available as scheduling permits. Contact the Outdoor Science School office early if this would be a valuable resource for your school.
- Earn a Scholarship to OSS by recruiting a new school! Many students and teachers leave their week at OSS hoping they can share the experience with others. Help us identify schools that might be interested in participating and you can earn scholarships for your own school!
- Book a Site Visit! Bring parents and school administrators for a tour of the Outdoor School site. Meet the OSS staff, see the cabins where students will stay, the dining hall where they eat, and the forest or shore where the students will learn. Contact the Outdoor Science School office,
2017-2018 OSS Sign-up
If you have not yet signed-up for the 2018-19 school year, please give us a call. There are still great weeks available. Click hereto learn more about how to book your week. Spread the word, recruit a new school, and earn scholarships for your school to attend OSS.
These are just a few of our offerings. Keep in touch - we would like to hear from you. Contact us at: 562-922-6330 and/or by email at widdison_gary [at] lacoe [dot] edu.
- How can we help your school prepare more effectively for your week at OSS?
- What challenges did you face this year, and how might OSS be able to support your school?
- What other feedback do you have for us?
Staying in Touch
We hope you have a wonderful summer break. Members of our naturalist staff will be traveling all around the world, pursuing their passions for learning and exploring in nature. Stay in touch with our program and naturalists during the summer!
Thank you for your continued dedication to high-quality, immersive, science education for your students, and thank you for your support of the Outdoor Science School.
Have a great summer,
All your friends and colleagues at the Outdoor Science School!